GOTCHA DAY

Monday, July 23, 2012
This has definitely been a day that the Lord has made. Brent and I were so nervous before we met Mia that we both felt sick. We were expecting the upset and crying little girl that we've always seen in pictures, but she wasn't like that at all. She didn't want to come to us right away so we let her take some time. Then an official came into the room and scolded the nannies for not handing her to us yet. She was handed to me. She never cried, however, we could see that she was a little unsure of us.

During the car ride back to the hotel, she took some water and Gerber graduate snacks. We then went back to our hotel room with our coordinator to sign some of the final papers. Before the paperwork was completed, Mia began giving us some little smiles. (We found out yesterday that her name actually means "little smile." We had originally thought it meant "bright morning.") Anyway, short after the smiles, came playing and laughter, even belly laughs. She has done amazingly well. To God be the glory. I just gave her part of a bottle and put her to bed. She didn't cry at all.

God has given us many signs during this adoption to confirm that we are in His will. Today we received one that made us all smile. Last week before we left for China, Brent and I were kidding that we would do the Snoopy Dance when we got Mia. Mia met us today were a adorable new dress with no other than Snoopy on the front. He is even in the details.

We found out today that Mia knows Cantonese, not Mandarin. Brent turned on the water in the bathroom when our coordinator was still here, and Mia jerked her head around toward the bathroom and said something. The coordinator told me she said "what's that?" It actually sounds similar to the English words. Tonight we were reading a book, and I asked her "what's that?" when pointing to a cat and she said mao, which sounds like meow. I can tell she is very smart, and it's not just cause I am her Momma.

Before I add some pictures, I want to ask you to continue praying. Mia sounds like she has some congestion in her chest, and we have seen her pulling on her ears a little.



7 comments :

  1. Anonymous said... :

    What a wonderful report!! I love the pictures especially of Mia smiling; and yes, will continue to pray! Angela Baker

  1. Angela Baker said... :

    So glad to hear your wonderful report of meeting Mia! She looks happy and right at home with you! Praise God!!

  1. Carleen said... :

    Mia is absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations!!

  1. Sherri said... :

    Congratulations!! Your baby girl is just beautiful. I love watching Gotcha Days!...I have friends there who's Gotcha day was the same day. I noticed your also in Nanning. Could my friends AnneMarie and Howie be in your group? They don't have a computer with them and I'm dying to see a photo of the 3 of them. If, they are in your group, do you mind taking a photo and posting it? Pretty Please!!
    Sherri in Florida

  1. Jenny said... :

    Praise God! Best news we have heard all day!!!! I just keep thinking about how much fun you are in for!

  1. Jenny said... :

    Best news we have heard all day! I just keep thinking about all the fun you are in for!

  1. MarthaB said... :

    Congratulations...what a gorgeous little girl!